Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 63 - "We had a miracle. Through a reference of a family, we found a family to teach! Well, a mom and her daughter. Eda and Javiera."

October 15, 2014

I have a testimony of the power of service. Service has door-opening power. Really. When we put ourselves out there, offer ourselves to the people, they open up. Their perspective of us changes in a an instant. They see us as oriented around others instead of the selfish norm of the world focused on themselves. I have pulled so much weeds and rubbish and tree branches and dead cats that I could do it as a living. The people really do see our example when we offer ourselves to help them. I have a firm understanding now of why my parents made me do chores and dragged me outside to help in the yardwork. Although I fought and hated and complained, I now enjoy serving, putting myself last and losing myself in every service I perform.


All right. You know you're getting old in the mision when: the dogs that you tell to shut up actually shut up, you have yet another pair of shoes that is deteriorating from the inside out, your calf muscles are impressively firm while the rest of you is impressively not, your hair has made a drastic change of color and length, you see people for their potential interior instead of exterior, you have an appetite for things that don't make sense or that you had hatred for before. Or when you receive your Trunky Papers! I got mine today for email. Know what that means? 12 weeks is all the time I have left. 12 weeks to do all the things. To walk all day in the heat, to talk to people I don't know, to follow the Spirit and to have him as a constant companion. There are so many things I haven't done yet. And so little time. I suppose I have to just endure and enjoy. That's all I can do.

General Conference. Who can say inspired? Can you believe all the simplicity of the talks that were given? All the themes were incredible, but nothing too profound. I think that God knows that there were investigators and others who wouldn't necesarily understand all of the profoundness. It was a very good weekend. All the questions and worries I had were answered and as we went around teaching this week, more and more people confirmed the same fact. God and His servants were there in the room with us. The Spirit was incredible.

We had a miracle. Through a reference of a family, we found a family to teach! Well, a mom and her daughter. Eda and Javiera. They are very special. Eda is less active since last year but just because she works a stressful schedule. She is a RM. She served in Concepcion and she is very in tune with the Spirit. Javiera has 17 years. She is very tall and very sweet. We had a NDH last night with a member. It was a very cool experience. I enjoyed sharing the little activity of faith we'd invented and then we ate completos (dad can explain what they are). Reyes and I are starting to really be able to teach together and I think we're finally coming to understand each other, so our lessons are becoming more powerful as well.

I love this work. There is nothing cooler than being a misionery. There is nothing more fulfilling than returning to the house every night exhausted and sweaty. Through all the hours of walking, through the people that are sometimes very odd, through the sometimes negative moments, everything becomes worth the pain when you realize the true purpose of all of it. When you take into perspective the reality of eternity. I love you. God loves us. Have a good, smiling week!

Hermana Castleton

No comments:

Post a Comment