Friday, April 4, 2014

Week 35 - "This weekend, the Friday and Saturday, is a somewhat dangerous time of the year in Chile. There is a day called and reserved for 'Jovenes Combatientes' or the 'Young Dilinquents'"


March 31, 2014


This weekend, the Friday and Saturday, is a somewhat dangerous time of the year in Chile. There is a day called and reserved for 'Jovenes Combatientes' or the 'Young Dilinquents'. These days, the young people go out and rampantly kill, light things on fire, destroy property, etc. The Chilenos are so accustomed to it, they all talk about rampant teenagers like it's a normal everyday thing. But for the misioneries in the mision Santiago Sur, we were commanded by our Presidente that we couldn't leave. We had to be in the pension at 5 in the afternoon Friday and inside all the day Saturday. That is a lot of time in misionary time. We only have a limited amount of time as it is, so staying home is fome. Super lame. But I didn't complain because it gave me lots of time to write letters... (by the way, family, you should be expecting mail within the next few weeks)I had time to ponder and meditate. I thought about the people I'm teaching, their needs, the doubts they may have. And the fact I was stuck inside while sirens and distant gunshots outside didn't console me. Despite the danger outside, I wanted to be out and utilizing that time.

I know I've said this about 100.000 times in my letters, but I am amazed by the changes the mision makes in a person. We are programmed into doing one thing, one lifestyle and how to live for 18-24 months 24/7. We aren't robots, but we are very well-primmed machines in what we are trained to do. One of those things is thinking of others. We put goals to help others, we think of how we can help the Spirit help others to progress, we want people to make such changes in order to receive such blessings and change such things. We become the most unselfish beings on the face of the earth. I'm not saying I'm completely unselfish or perfect, I am still a long way from perfeccion. But there is an Elder going home next week and he was telling us how he didn't need to worry about metas for others anymore that he had to make metas for his life. I tried to think of the life after my mision and it is nearly impossible. It is very weird to think of filling the day and hours with what I want to do. If I did, I would feel guilty for wasting time.

I am so glad for the changes I have made in myself. I am glad to be rid of the weak, selfish, tired woman I was. I am happy that I will return home with a soul lifted and filled with the Spirit, the love of God in my eyes and the example of Christlike service and caridad in my heart.
Along with the changes I have witnessed and enjoyed in myself, I have seen miracles in the sector. The ward is changing. The weather is finally cooling down. The people we find are even more prepared than the last. We found a woman, Alejandra, knocking doors last week, we taught her family. We taught her very recently changing from ateo to creyente dad, Alejandro, who listened and argued with us for a bit. But Alejandra is interested. She liked the way her house felt when we were there. She is very sensible to the Spirit and we are excited tomorrow to teach her the plan of salvacion.

Marianela y Millaray asisted to the church! We passed to their house a bit earlier to make sure they were awake, then they let us in and gave us cafesita, Ecco with pan dulce. We talked about how we need to eat less pan because we have guatitas, bellies or tummies or whatever that means in english. Marianela wore a beautiful, modest dress and sweater and Millaray wore a skirt and sweater as well. They looked so beautiful and angellic in their church clothes. They sat with us in sacrament, sunday school and mujeres jovenes, then we walked them home. I spoke with the Marianela as we walked back and Hna Cabero with the Millaray. She told me she liked it. She enjoyed the class we held with the investigadores and our lider misional. While we walked to our Almuerzo, I watched them walk toward their house, I could only think of how normal it appeared to see them walking together from church. They are already becoming the members they will soon be. They are literal miracles. I love to know that the Spirit has touched their hearts with such power that they feel the urgency and need to be baptized. They have made the necesary changes, they just need the gift of the Spirit to make them into the increible followers of Christ they are.

I grow more and more thankful for the blessing of Christ I have in my life. He is my strength, my rock and my source of power. I am nothing without Him, my Father and the gift of the Spirit. I am nothing, I have taken that knowledge deep into myself and have humbled myself before the Lord. I am and will be eternally grateful for this oportunity I have to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost and the prayers of the milliones of members praying for the misionary efforts. I feel your prayers, love and support.

I love the gospel, I love the Spirit and I love misionary life!

Hermana Castleton

No comments:

Post a Comment