March 24, 2014
Whitney's letter this week...
The devil doesn't try the weak as he does the strong. Interesting how that works. I haven't thought about the influence of the devil asi before. The stronger you are, the stronger your defiance to the devil and things of his workings, the stronger he will fight you. He will poke at you in every form, every way with every tool he has. He does not want you to succeed because you are his enemy. We are part of the army of God, por lo tanto, we have divine potential. Of course he wants you to think your hopeless and helpless! He knows the power and abilites you possess. He knew you and spoke to you before this life, he knows you will succeed and he knows how to stop you.
 |
| Hermana Cook and her daughter, Hermana Taylor. My hija and I. Aw |
 |
| First time french braiding. |
 |
First and second attempt brownies. (first on right, second left)
|
 |
| Backpacks in Santiago Chile |
Comforting, right? I had a wonderful nightmare that I failed in my mision, went home, everybody rejected me and I fell from the Church. But God gave me a bit of light at the end of the tunnel and reminded me of the power of the Atonement and that all bad thoughts come from Satan. I woke up, a bit nervous and agitated, wondering if I was failing in my mision. Thoughts asi
[so] entered and dwelled in my heart and head all day. That day we were outside for 7 hours. In the heat, with a nasty developing cold called ´gripe`. We did not enter one house, did not contact one soul and I felt angry. I felt disanimated, I felt alone. Satan fought very well, very cleverley and very skilled. He knew how to trip me, shove me to the ground and the best way to pin me down. He kept me there for a while.
 |
| We hiked up a mountain to see the Virgen Maria. Holy freak. Interesting experience. |
Finally I remembered the reason I am here. I remembered that God called me. I remembered that the Savior suffered all the pain, anguish, disanimacion, hate, and frustration I've experimented. I chose before I came here to earth to do this work. I knew how difficult it would be and what challenges I would face. I knew and accepted. I told my Father I would be faithful. He told me I would be tempted and tried, but that if I trusted in Him, He will always be there.
 |
| My comp y yo. Almost half way up the hill/mountain |
 |
| At the top. Incredible, right? |
 |
| Some of the group of our Zone that hiked San Cristobal last week. (There's a look alike to Bruno Mars. Can you find him? That's Elder Bermeo and to the right is his comp, Elder Prada. They are the Elders in our barrio La Blanca) |
 |
Surprise birthday party for Normita! (On the very right) - She completed 61 (she's 61 years old). They are so sweet and crazy fun! Chilenas |
Marianela and Miyarai didn't assist to the church again. We taught an incredible lesson of the Plan of Salvacion, they loved the message and in the end they told us an incredible experience. Marianela was registering Miyarai for school and the people asked what religion they are. It is an Iglesia Catolica, so they expect everybody to be catholic. But she told them they are MORMONS! Cool, right? They are so excited. We will have to change their date again because they will need to asist 3 times, but they are so ready! They just need to fight Satan and his advances.
 |
| Temple trip!! WOOH! |
In the end, this week we only taught 3 lessons. We entered 3 houses. We contacted house after house for hours without contestacion. Nobody answered. But I have never felt stronger. I have never felt more tired either, but I am fighting. Satan only has power when we allow him to. He has as much power as we permit. That is why it is very important to keep God in your heart. He will never make you feel like you are nothing. He will show you the light between the darkness and will always provide a Savior. He loves you, He knows your struggles, and He is just waiting for you to humble up and tell HIm. He is the Todopoderoso [almighty]. He has all power. Let Him help you more than you can help yourself. I know sometimes it's hard to think that there is someone who really is watching, but He is there. He only wants your happiness. He loves and watches over and protects you. Just look around to find the little miracles.
Hermana Castleton
Whitney's and My E-mail Conversation:
Whitney and I were "chatting" over email yesterday and I asked her what her plans were for the day. She responded, "Well, we are going to teach Marianela and Miyarai (they are being baptized in April) the third lesson, the Gospel of Cristo. Chiste, we are going to have a NDH, Noche de Hogar
(Family Home Evening]. I believe we are going to show a video of the Mensajes Mormones
[Mormon Messages]. But I'm not entirely sure still."
Then I asked her to tell me about her companion. She sounds like a great girl! Whitney said about her companion, "Hermana Cabero. My jita. My hija is from Bolivia
[hija means "daughter" - the training sister missionaries lovingly refer to their new companions that they train as their "daughters"]. She is chiquita
[petite]. Shorter than you, mom, if you can believe it. She has short dark red hair, her natural color, she is the skinniest pole you've ever seen and she is full of spunk. She loves to sing, dance and she is a very good cook. She is the third daughter of four in her family, the first misionary in the family, she has 19 years. She LOVES cheesecake. I made cheesecake and she ate nearly the entire thing sola
[by herself]. She and I are very different, but very similar at the same time. She doesn't talk a lot around people, but speaks her mind very loudly and fervently when she needs to. She is a very strong woman with a testimony very firm in the gospel and the church. It is difficult sometimes because she doesn't want to do what we should be doing when we need to do it, studies for instance. She always sings songs in Spanish that don't bring the spirit, she is very trunky and always asks me questions that almost make me trunky until I tell her I don't want to think about them. But she is growing. I hope to show her by example what she needs to do, which is difficult, but one day, I pray she will think back and want to do what I taught her."
 |
Presidente y Hermana Alder, y yo. Family!!
|
This is President & Hermana Alder. He is the current Santiago Chile Temple President. What an amazing thing that Whitney's relative is the temple president in her mission. He called Whitney's Grandma Anne the other day and told her that he met her grand-daughter at a stake conference. He said that Whitney looks beautiful and is just full of the spirit and glowing with happiness. He told Grandma Anne that it is wonderful that Whitney is a trainer because you have to be an "exceptional missionary to be a trainer".
What a wonderful thing to hear that about our sweet daughter. When I see these pictures of her I just want to jump into the picture and squeeze and kiss her!! She's just glowing with the spirit of the Lord!
 |
| We received this letter from President Cook about Whitney (her mission president). |
Whitney also told me, "It was fun. I haven't sung in a choir for YEARS. I enjoyed it. I have to play (accompany) for the ward choir, the piano. Joy. I haven't played piano for years and now I have to play for the choir. Pray for me. Also, remember how I walked wrong on my shoes for 2 weeks? I think it made a long term effect in my foot. Because the sole of my left foot hurts when I walk, sit, stand, stretch, and it always throbs. It's the weirdest and most obnoxious thing. I just want to work without stupid pain! But It's all right because I am going to walk until my feet come off anywaay!! WOOH!"
No comments:
Post a Comment