February 24, 2014
The Lord stretches us. I can testify firmly and with all the urgency and power of my heart that the Lord stretches you. To lengths you never imagined. And then continues to pull and twist. He molds us in ways that make us better than we knew we could be.
I still haven't left my
sector and I'm still comps with Hermana Cook (she's training as well!)
until the greenie meeting tomorrow in the tarde. Yesterday I said
goodbye to the people and the familias I have been teaching and helping
the Lord strengthen. That's when I realized how much the ward has
influenced me and I the ward. (I forgot my camera this week, but I'll
surely send fotos next week with fotos of my HIJA!) I didn't say
everything I had intended or wanted to say, as usual, but I sure felt
the Spirit and the love I had for this work and the people I've met
because of my mision. I will forever remember the miembros in El Parrón,
but it is surely time for a change. A stretch.
Nervous? Yes. Frightened
and scared out of my mind? You betcha bottom. But confident in the
omnipotency and all powerfulness of God? Absolutely. Today in the
meeting of the Cambios, Hermana Cook, wife of Presidente, spoke of a
plant that gets too big for the pot. What do you do with the plant? Do
you take it very gently from its place, making sure to be delicate with
the roots and place it securely into its new pot? NO. You grab it by the
stem, close to the roots, yank it out of the soil, shake out the roots,
cut a few of them off, then pack the plant back into the pot. I liked
this analogy. A lot. Because it relates to our lives as the misionaries
of God. We are yanked from the food, customs, schedule, people, and
comfort zones we've had our entire lives. Then we come into the field
and we dress a certain way, behave a certain way, step from our comfort
zones and talk to strangers about the very depths of our souls, and
follow a schedule that would make any other sane, non-misionary crazy.
But boy, do we get blessed. I have never seen such a growth of pure
hope and love and peace in myself and the abilities God has given me. I
feel confident with God's decision to put me in charge of a new
misionary. I see and take note of God's hand every day and in the small
things.
![]() |
| Young Women in the |
For instance, we were
walking in the calle Wednesday (that is weird to type in English. Even
in my journal I write Miercoles) when we ran into the mamá, Maria, of a
menas activa we're teaching, Margarita. She has very much and clearly
lost some marbles. She told us when we first talked to her in the calle a
month or so before that she was homeless (a sign of her not
homelessness was she was clean and very much not homeless appearing) and
when she first knew the Church, she was baptized by 50 Elderes or
something así. Then we found her living in the house of her daughter,
acting like a different person. Anyway, we found her in the calle this
week and she stopped us. And
started to conversate with her. Which is
never a brilliant idea because she talks. And talks. That is one
unchanging thing about Chilenos. They will talk and vent about
everything under the sun if you give them a moment to talk. So she
started to rant about China, the economy, the color blue, her daughter
and whatever crazy things she said. At one point she started to talk
about her husband treating her badly and she can't forgive him. I felt
the very strong urge to ask if she believed God and Jesucristo can
forgive her. She seemed a bit affected by that, but brushed it for a
moment and said she didn't care if they did. Then we testified of the
power of the Atonement that can be used for forgiveness as well as sins.
She was very near tears and then was scared a bit from crying when
Hermana Cook tried to hug her. But I can promise that God knows His
children. The crazies, the neglected, the negligent, the rebels, the
lost causes and the crazy Chilena women in the street. He is always and
will always be watching over us, trying to help us make the best
decisiones. Blessing us when we do His will and continuing to try to
help us repent when we make errors. I know this work is of God. This
word, the gospel, everything is true. God is our Father, Jesus Christ is
our Savior, Brother and Redeemer and He lives. I testify the
progression of the missionary work we are doing is the Lord avanzando
His work and His glory. I love Him, He loves you and I love you all!
![]() |
| Elder Burhoe |
Have an amazing, smiley, super sassy week! (Dedicated to Hermana Cook)
Hermana Castleton



No comments:
Post a Comment