Whitney's 3rd Letter
I cannot express to you how desperately I want fruit. I didn't realize how much I took a kitchen for granted. I miss homemade meals and food that contains some sort of nutrient or fiber. The CCM only serves in mass quantity, so it's mostly processed, seasoned with salt and then fried or recooked. I can feel the fat and carbohydrates oozing from my pores. I've never eaten more rice, mashed potatoes or breaded chicken or meat. Something else I've noticed is that everything is either really sweet or bland. There isn't a happy medium. Sweet or bland. the juices and desserts especially. But one thing I cannot find fault with is dulce de leche. They call it 'manjar' down here and it's like heaven. I spread it on warm pan in the mornings and it is delicious. Also, we put yogurt or hot leche on our cereals, as well. I haven't had refridgerated milk since I left.It's taken some time to become accustom, but I sort of like it.
Everybody has started to get sick in Alcantara. We live in such close quarters, it's hard not to. I have a bit of a sore throat and a headache, but I've yet to get the sinus issues everyone has. Knock on wood. My stomach has started to hurt within the last few days on and off, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before. I eat as many oranges as I can find and try to get sleep when I have time. I'll be fine.
What else I can tell you... I'm starting to really struggle with Spanish again. I keep telling myself it's a good thing I'm struggling because if I weren't it would mean I'm not learning and heaven forbid that I don't learn for a few days. I kid. Chiste! I'm in classes for 16 hours, so there really isn't a lot to say. But I hope I can get back to most of you because I didn't get a chance to really read your emails last week. Too much to say and all that.
Yesterday my group had a bit of slow day, and it was really nice to not stress. We had a stress management class toward the end of the day and it actually did help. And our Distrito is getting along really well. the Hermanas are becoming good friends and the Elders... well, they're elders.
My teachers are great. unfortunately, we switch after today, every two weeks, so I probably won't have Monti again. We said goodbye to the Latinos in our first group today. it was heart breaking. The gringos sang 'God be with you till we meet again'. We made them cry. Many hugs and tears were shed.
I'm tired, stressed and a bit insane, but what else is new. I hope all of you back in the states and such are doing all right. I pray for you every moment I can, especially when I miss you the most.
Please keep me posted on goings ons and such. I really do miss you.
I love you!
Hermana Castleton
These are pictures of Whitney and all the sister missionaries who left for Chile on July 30th. Wow, that's a lot of sisters!
Whitney and her new friend, Hermana Danielle Cook from Las Vegas, Nevada |
No comments:
Post a Comment