Monday, January 13, 2014

Week 24 - We are exhausted. Misioneries are exhausted. It just comes with the lovely package of misionary life!

January 13, 2014

The weeks here are passing like minutes. If you blink too much on your mision, you might miss a few months. The past week flew by. I feel like I was just sitting here ten minutes ago writing a different letter. Time is tan raro.

Pero, bueno. Aquí estamos.

Exhaustion is funny. It is sort of unavoidable and inevitable. We are exhausted. Misioneries are exhausted. It just comes with the lovely package of misionary life. If you're not exhausted when you return to the pension at night... Houston, we've got a problem. Exhaustion doesn't only mean that you're mentally, physically and spiritually and emotionally drained of energy, it is a sign of love. Exhastion means you are putting your all into the work of God and He is using you to the best of your abilities. It means you're pùtting all your heart, might, mind and strength into everything the Lord gives you. The challenges, investigadors, menos activos, the ward, the studying, the inspiration and being receptive to the whisperings of the Spirit. When you've let the Lord take hold of you and you truly become an instrument, that is when exhaustion and sleep deprevation become miracles and blessings. How exhausted you feel is equal to the love and devocion you have for the Lord and His people.

I love my Hermana. Hermana Cook is an inspiration of selfless and radiant obedience. She does things radiantly. When she's laughing like a sneaky cat or talking Spanish in a horrid Texas accent or when we're in lessons and our investigadors are driving her bonkers, she does it all with radiance. She is truly an example to me. I have loved her since the beginning, but as we've become closer, as we help the weaknesses of each other become strengths, we have realized what a blessing togetherness is. We have another cambio juntas, which is wonderful. We clearly have more to learn from each other and we have more people to find and miracles to bring. When we teach with togetherness, that is when we invite the Spirit.

A few highlights of our lovely week as Hermanas in the Obra Misional en Chile Santiago Sur, La Cisterna, El Parrón

One lesson we taught was with Fransisca y Marco. The wonderful couple. I want to love them to death. Before their smoking does. We sat down, prayed, and started to get into the lesson. We shared Helaman 5:12 and presented our beautiful caja for the Cigarros Espirituales - Spiritual Cigarrettes. She smiled and accepted it with shy nod and glance in Marco's direction. Something you should know about their relationship. Marco is proud. He is rude at times and he speaks for his... Fransisca. He answers our questions when we ask her. When we asked if she would keep the Word of Wisdom, Marco went on to tell her how much she needed to and she not only needs willpower but the desire to stop. We told him we are going to make one for him and he told us he doesn't need one. He can in his own time when he feels it's necesary. Hermana Cook asked him why he wanted us to continue to keep passing if he isn't going to live or accept the things we teach. He said, 'Estan aquí a bautizarme, pero nunca me bautizo'. 'I know you're here to baptize me, but I'm never going to be baptized'. We asked him why and he told us it isn't necesary. Hermana Cook asked him if he is better than Jesus Christ... Bomb. The Spirit was there. He sat for a moment, dazed at the question, then said no and repeated that it isn't necessary for him. Apparently we have been teaching somebody exempt from the complete necessity to be baptized. Someone more perfect than Christ himself. We didn't feel to argue, but we asked if they want us to continue to pass. They said yes. Well, we left sort of with awkwardness in the air. I hope at least that Fransisca will try to stop smoking.

There are many more experiences to write, but little time.

During personal study today, I studied in Predicad Mi Evangelio about the gift of the Holy Ghost. I had an incredible insight about baptism. I sort of knew it before, but it's always cool when the Spirit confirms something you already know to be truth. I read in Juan... 3 I want to say, and Jesus is talking to Nicademus about baptism and the Holy Ghost. I had a thought. We need to be baptized by water to wash away the sins from our bodies, but we need the confirmation and the gift of the Holy Ghost because our spirits need a baptism as well. We are completely and utterly cleansed through the water and fire of baptism. It is a new start and that is one of the reasons we need the ordenanza of baptism.
I've found this week that the pure doctrine of Christ is what we need to teach. We can't teach what we want to teach because it's not our doctrine. God leads and loves this work and this Church. He loves you. He wants us to do the best we can here so we can live with him again. This work is powered by the divine energy of God. I know that.

See miracles, be the hands of God and let his Spirit be your guide.

Les amo

Hermana Castleton

No comments:

Post a Comment