Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Week 20 - Hole in the bottom my sandals!

December 16, 2013

From Whitney's Mom:

Whitney's new companion is Hermana Danielle Cook from Las Vegas. Her mother, Rhonda and I have become friends through a missionary mom email group ever since our daughters flew down from Salt Lake to Chile that first day of their missions. Rhonda and I immediately became friends and have become more acquainted over the past few months. She is a wonderful person. She has let me read Danielle's letters and she has read Whitney's letters. As I have read Hermana Cooks letters I have been so impressed with her beautiful spirit and testimony (and hoped they would be companions at some point in their missions - didn't think it would be so soon). Whitney just adores her. It's been a sweet experience to have this relationship with her mother and to have our daughters be such good friends as well. They are great people and I'm grateful that Hermana Cook decided to serve a mission and that Whitney is companions with her at this time. They will be a great team!

Whitney's letter:

It is definitely some sort of accomplishment to say that I have walked a hole through the bottom of my shoe. Clearly it is a sign that I will need a new pair of shoes to walk in, but I can't help to be a bit proud of my shoes. I can only imagine the sorry state of my feet when I've completed 18 months instead of four.

I cannot testify enough to each of you of the power and necessity of patience in the mission. I honestly thought I was patient when I left home, but I can honestly tell you I was not. I have learned much in this last week about the sense of humor God has. And the patience I need to have with my Father for the very specific miracles he blesses us with when we ask. Pacience is truly an attribute of Christ. Patience and strict and exact obedience. We are entitled to the Lord's help, but we have to do our part in order to receive it.

Miracles are real. I cannot tell you the reality of miracles God desires to bless us with. He wants to bless us, but at the same time, He knows when we need blessings. Apparently wearing a hole through my shoe isn't enough walking and contacting for over 24 hours isn't enough doors, but that just means that a blessing is on its way and we won't have room enough to receive it.

I had three cool thoughts, random and suddenly, this week. The missionaries here and now in the Chile Santiago Sur mission are tough. We have been picked specifically and perfectly for the tasks we have been and will be assigned. With the help of the Lord we will not fail. We might not be reaping the rewards of our work yet, or even planting the seeds, but if I am the one to dig to holes or till the earth, I will be satisfied with the exhaustion and literal pain I find in the joints of my body. Another was that if you feel down and you're having a hard time during the week and you feel Satan assailing you constantly. you must be doing something right.

Thirdly. Satan has a testimony. He knows the gospel is true and that this is the only true and living Church on the earth that is ordained of God. He knows we have the priesthood, the power of the Lord Jesus, on the earth held by every worthy man in the church. He knows that this is the same church Jesus formed and established when he lived here. That's why we face such opposition. We are tried daily in our faith and we make mistakes and find opposition in all things because we are following the commandments. And in this world, corrupted and sinful and wrong, that is utterly foreign. Satan wants us to doubt ourselves because he knows the potential and power we have. Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith! Don't give up fighting because God needs you for His army.

As this year comes to an end, I've had the opportunity to finish the Book of Mormòn. It was quite the challenge, as it was in the mission language, but haven't felt quite so great about finishing it before. I have to admit, I struggled. It was a challenge. In the beginning, I just read the words and I went for chapters and chapters without knowing what I was reading. I was confused and frustrated and cursed the Spanish language countless times. But I don't regret my struggling. I have learned and come further than I imagined possible and I am shooting ahead in the language. The Book of Mormon is truly an inspired work and it contains the plenitud of the gospel. It is the most important and one of the important way we can receive revelation from our loving Father. He gives us answers and power through our reading of His words. I have never loved the BOM. I have never really seen it as inspiring or important. But I cannot testify to you enough with all my soul, alma, corazon, that I know God inspired those prophets to write those specific words to touch each of us individually and to guide us as a group of imperfect and human beings.

I am grateful for the opportunity I have every day to study. One of the hermanas we live with, Hermana Johnson, says something really cool and I think it's from a song or someat, but I love it. We are bringing the world His truth. We are literally, as His Sons and Daughters, bringing the truth to the world. We are doing it every day down here, but also you as members back home have the opportunity to as well. Through your examples and service and pure love. The love and light of Christ is for all. Todos. The message of salvation and the urgency with which it needs to be proclamed is for all people, in every sector in every part of the world.

I want to say more, I could and would bear my testimony to all for pages and pages, but I have an hour and fifteen to do that. So I won't. I love you all.- I pray for your sanity and safety and testimonies. Keep the scriptures close and the Lord in your heart and you will find true and divine Happiness.

Espero el Señor les protege en todo hacen. Tengo un testimonio fuerte de esta obra y de esta Iglesia. Sé estuve un poco triste y fome antes, pero testifico a ustedes, en mi familia y en cualquier parte del mundo que lean este mensaje, que no soy perfecta y nadie en la Iglesia o el mundo es perfecto tampoco. Pero las enseñanzas y doctrinas en dentro son perfectas. Hay nada en el mundo que puede impedir esta obra o el Señor. Dios y Jesucristo nos ama tanto y no podemos imaginarse la potencial y el plan tiene para yo o cada uno de ustedes. Jesucristo es el Salvador. A través su expiación y amor podemos ser limpios y dignos y empezar de nuevo. Solamente necesitamos fe. Sé humildad es la clave de todo y Dios les bendiga cuando hacen Su voluntad.

Les amo y Dios bendiga en Todo!

Hermana Castleton 

No comments:

Post a Comment