Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Week TWELVE!

October 14, 2013

I have been in the field a bit over a month. Loco, cierto? It's crazy to think that I have only 15.5 months left. Or algo así. 
Lots of new developments in the last week. One thing I have to say is that I am truly honored to have been called here. Chile has some of the most humble, strong people I've met. Their testimonies are incredible and when they find the gospel, they stick to their conversion. For the most part, that is. Unfortunately, there are some too set in their ways to see the need for change. Take Maria Isabel for instance. She told us we can't come by to teach her anymore. Her reason was that she thinks she's received her answer and it was a bad feeling. Which means she still hasn't found it, but she doesn't want to put in the effort to change. But we've felt that we've needed to drop her for a bit, so I suppose it's for the better. 
We've found another nuevo! She is simply, to put it into two words, heaven sent. We found her one Saturday evening by walking into her restaurant at 9 or so because we were getting apprehensive and what. We started talking and we all got along really well. She has a sweet spirit and she is a big teddy bear. I love her. We went by last night, but didn't have a lesson. We both felt like we needed to pass by nonetheless. It's only a firmer testament to me that God watches over His children. She was lonely. It was awful. We sang to her and really got to know her for the hour and a half we were with her. She is an incredible lady. We gave her a Plan of Salvation folleto the last time we saw her and she told us she is really interested in the Church because Hna Moody and I are so happy. I can't wait to teach her. 
I blend into this country very well, what with my olivish skin, dark hair and dark eyes, people at times think I'm a native. You'll be happy to hear that my hair has gotten lighter and my skin has gotten darker. Well, the bits of my legs, my face between my sandal straps and most of my arms. It's incredible how strong the sun is, and summer has yet to begin. Joy. But I'm excited to return home looking like a sunburnt elephant. 'Will you still love me if I come home looking like an elephant?' Hahah. Name that movie. Random, perdón. 
Oh, you will also be surprised to hear that my appetite is changing. And perhaps not for the better. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to taste food because some of the things I eat are rather... interesting. I eat whatever there is in my section of the pantry and don't complain. I'll return with a completely different appetite. Wooh! 
You were asking me for customs. Here's an interesting one. As there are countless dogs that at times outnumber the people roaming the streets, we hang our garbage sacks on trees and fences. The dogs rip them open and scatter the contents abroad, but for some reason putting them on the trees keeps the dogs at bay. 
Interesting tidbit, little did I know that all those hours in the gardens at home, I was being prepared physically and mentally to pull weeds in Chile. We cleaned up a plaza in La Blanca for a zone project. I was able to last forever, while others complained and procrastinated their work. I just put my mind to it. We were there for over 3 hours in the sun. It was good to know that all that work at home was being put to use here, as well. So, kids, let this be a lesson. There is wisdom in the seemingly nonsensical doings of our mothers... :) 
I read Our Search for Happiness by M. Russell Ballard this week. I highly highly recommend it. Read it. It answered a lot of questions I had and I will probably use some of the material at some point in my mission. Very insightful and profound. 
I just feel the need to tell you all that I am here. If you need advice, or to vent or to just quote movies, I am willing to help in any way I can. You have been here for me, and I want to do the same service for my beloved family and friends. Who sacrifice so very much for me.
Well, that's all for this week. I'll keep you updated with investigators and what. I love you and cherish all of you. Thank you for your love and undying support. Till the next week. 
Hermana Castleton

No comments:

Post a Comment